Sep

Date/Age Range of Baby Boomers, Generation X, and Generation Y

Here is the date range comparison between these 3 generations.  Note that the start and end date are debatable.  As I said in a previous post, generations don’t end with black and white borders.  They fade into one another, so you will see an overlap of age.  Without further adieu, here are the ranges:

Generation Timeline

Baby Boomers: 1946~1953 to 1964

This would make baby boomers, in the year 2010, somewhere in the ballpark of 46-64 years old.

Gen X: 1965 to 1976~1982

This would make generation X, in the year 2010, somewhere in the ballpark of 28-45 years old.

Gen Y: 1977~1982 to 1995~2001

This would make generation Y, in the year 2010, somewhere in the ballpark of 9-33 years old.

For the most part, Generation Y are the children of the Baby Boomers, and in some cases, grandchildren.  This is due to them being around their prime reproductive years during the 1980s (the last baby boomers turned 18 in 1982).  Thus, the echo boomers being a surge in population as an echo of the baby boomer post-war boom.

21 comments

1. David says:

I was born in 1979, so I am a true millenial – here’s why:

I am:

1. open – minded to ALL kinds of diversity.
    2. impatient.
    3. tech – savvy.
    4. want a fun job rather than one that just pays money/won’t stay at one company all my life.

1. Mike says:

I was born in 1977 and I feel that I fit into Gen Y. The things that Gen X identify with like The Breakfast Club or any of the “brat pack” movies always seemed to me like things that the older kids were into. This is probably because I was the oldest of 4 siblings ranging in birth year 1977 to 1988 that I was more immersed in that culture. If I were born in 1977 as the youngest sibling I would probably have been exposed to more Gen X culture by older brothers or sisters. The only thing from Gen X that I recognize is the challenger explosion; which happened when I was in 3rd grade (I think). I do remember MTV actually playing music video (and some of the early music videos) but that was because my parents (as late boomers) used to watch MTV. When I was of the MTV watching age it was all about Bevis and Buthead, Daria, and the Real World.

2. Mike says:

I also feel that I am a Gen Y Millenial for the same reasons as David.

Also my next brother out of the 4 of us was born in 1979 and we practically grew up as if we were twins.

3. Tiki Tina says:

Dont forget 7. Arrogant

4. jmonkey says:

hell ya I agree

2. skull says:

5. a tool

1. gingerbaker says:

hahaha

2. Teddy says:

6. gay

3. HD says:

Skull, Teddy, Cally…..you guys hit the nail on the head!! Excellent!!
      Auds…..go home, hug a tree, meditate, call your therapist and heal your inner child

3. cally says:

Saying you’re a true “millenial” by listing traits is the same as someone saying they’re a true capricorn, scorpio, etc., and listing traits associated with it. You’re pretty much saying that anyone that doesn’t have those exact traits (which could apply to anyone of any generation not just one particular pretentious douche) in that time frame of birth years, isn’t really “from” that era.

4. CryHavoc says:

At least this site has the age ranges correct. I was born in 1962 and I am a late Baby Boomer (Not part of Generation X). I remember most of the Vietnam War, I watched Nixon resign on TV and I have first hand experience with things analog. (I also can turn on a TV without having a remote.)

5. auds says:

You guys were assholes to David. Shame on you, ya pricks.

6. Lol says:

Lol

7. lolol says:

lolol

8. Greta says:

I live in the cb generation. That means chipboard. No solid timber for me

9. Elise Krentzel says:

I am a baby boomer bordering on the edge of indigo so I’m an indigo elder. My son was born 2001 that makes him a crystal.

10. mark says:

what are you all talking about im a true gen y (1988) we dont respect nobody like anything unless it self destructive and we will be changing your diapers and feeding you apple sauce haha herherher heheehe

11. US Youth Population: An Aging Millennial Generation says:

[…] exact age group of the Millennial Generation is still up for debate among youth researchers (example 1 & example […]

12. David H says:

i was born in 1998. so i am a gen y. always wondered what generation i was.

13. Mike says:

You might be changing our diapers Mark but never forget who changed who’s diaper first. Respect or not YOU OWE US!!!! LOL